Forums » Support

as Canada edged Ghana 2-1 o

• March 23, 2020 2:00 AM EDT

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Hector Jimenez scored in the 90th minute to lift the short-handed Columbus Crew into a 1-1 tie with D. Mike Hennigan .C. United on Saturday night. Jimenez took a long ball from Wil Trapp on the left flank and fired a perfect shot from 18 yards into the upper right corner for his first goal of the season. The Crew (3-1-2) were playing with 10 men after Bernardo Anor was sent off for a two-footed tackle on Perry Kitchen in the 81st minute. D.C. (2-2-2) took the lead in the 31st minute on Fabian Espindolas goal off a turnover created in the midfield by Nick DeLeon, who stripped the ball from Federico Higuain. DeLeon split two defenders with a ball that Espindola ran onto down the left side. Espindola overpowered goalkeeper Steve Clark. Mike Stonebreaker . 9 Baylor Bears just needed some time to get on track in their first game after the Christmas break. Scott Evans .C. -- Wake Forest coach Jim Grobe is resigning after 13 seasons at the school.SAN JOSE, Costa Rica - Marie Levasseur scored twice as Canada edged Ghana 2-1 on Saturday to advance to the quarter-finals at the FIFA U-17 Womens World Cup. Its the third time a Canadian team has reached the quarter-finals, with their last appearance coming at the 2012 installment of the tournament in Azerbaijan. Canada, who secured the win despite playing 40 minutes shorthanded after Bianca St. Georges was sent off five minutes into the second half, will play Venezuela in the quarter-finals Mar. 27. "It was a stressful bench but a very proud bench," said Canadian head coach Bev Priestman. "To pllay 40 and probably 45 minutes with the added time with ten players, youve got to be proud of them. Mike Fink. " Canada needed a win to advance after North Korea edged Germany 4-3 in Group Bs earlier game. Levasseur put Canada ahead 2-0 in the first half but Ghanas Sandra Owusu cut Canadas lead to one in the 72nd minute, forcing the Canadians to hold on for the narrow victory. "Theyve exceeded my expectations," said Priestman. "I knew we could play the way we played but I think the resilience and the defensive work under massive bouts of pressure, theyve done amazingly." ' ' '